Wednesday, May 4, 2011

CLEAN AIR: A Comment

.
"Yeah, that'll work fine 'til their parents figure out that the real solution to climate change includes a HUGE change in how we live and an equalizing of wealth around the globe and honest-to-God sacrifice -- such as, no more big old house in the suburbs with two.point.five cars to drive around all the time for every whim, but instead, take public transport -- my God -- to and from work every day, and live closer to work (what? with POOR people and HOMELESS, around, in the city?) and walk a lot, and hang clothes on a line to dry instead of shoving them in a dryer, and waste minimization like the Japanese do, and water conservation (you mean I can't have a green lawn when I live in the desert?), and every house lit up like a Christmas tree 24/7/365 -- and THAT kind of sacrifice ain't gonna happen in THIS country....not unless we all live through another TRUE Great Depression for a generation or two."


Blogger's Note:  I was inspired to run the story CLEAN AIR by a plant.  A plant that a colleague who was on vacation asked me to care for.  This colleague had a large plastic (recycled milk) jug for watering her plants - but the jug had a hole in it, that caused me to spill water all over her desk.  I don't buy milk by the gallon, so I asked another colleague (with young children) if she a jug at home that she could bring in.  And she said, "No, we buy our milk in glass bottles.  It's delivered everyday fresh, and we recycle."  Who knew!

I agree with your comments 100% - well maybe 85%.  But I also think that even small changes in our routines and habits, will make a difference in the long run.  And  I think you'd be surprised by the steps some of your neighbors and co-workers have already taken to conserve, renew and reuse.  We're getting better.  We're not there yet.  But we are getting better.

This is what I'm willing to do:

1.  My house is 2400 sq ft, that's about average for houses in the U.S. It's a single family home, but it is energy efficient.  I use compact flourescents, green cleaning products, white paper products (for the most part :-) and a programmable thermostat.

2.  On occassion, I will take the commuter bus to work; but not when the weather is bad, or if I have other errands to run before or after.

3.  I will hang my sheets on a retractable clothesline in my back yard - not just because it's environmentally correct, but because I love the smell of bed linens that were hung outside to dry. 

4.  Now that we have wheels on our recycle bins, I recycle 5 times more waste than I throw away.

5.  I will support farmer's markets and locally grown produce and dairy products.

6.  I will water my lawn only when I must.  And if I move to the desert (not gonna happen), I'll landscape with cactus.


And this is what I'm not willing to do:

1.  I am not going to live in the city; for all the reasons you mentioned and more - density, noise, crime, and that sense of anonimity that makes people think they can get away with anything - and then try it.

2.  The toilet will be flushed EVERY time.

3.  They will have to take my car keys out of my cold dead hand.



No comments: